The government is currently providing additional funding to improve provision of physical education (PE) and sport in primary schools. This funding is ring-fenced and therefore can only be spent on provision of PE and sport in schools. For Moretonhampstead Primary School this equates to approximately £8750 per year.
Purpose of funding
Schools must spend the additional funding on improving their provision of PE and sport, but they will have the freedom to choose how they do this.
Possible uses for the funding might include:
- Hiring specialist PE teachers or qualified sports coaches to work with primary teachers when teaching PE
- Supporting and engaging the least active children or children with SEN.
- Developing opportunities for high performing children (G&T).
- Developing active playtimes
- Paying for professional development opportunities for teachers in PE.
- Attending sport competitions or increasing pupils’ participation in sports festivals and tournaments.
- Improving the resources available to help deliver PE and school sport.
Review summary (July 2017)
2016-17 was a challenging year and while good progress was made in some areas, other areas progressed slower than planned. Subsequently some aspects of the 2016-17 plan will need to continue to be developed and some new areas will be introduced. The key areas for development during the 2016-17 period were:
1. Develop staff expertise in delivering all aspects of PE, including the KS1 integration of physical literacy and games. This includes both new and existing staff. 11 courses were attended and South Dartmoor worked along side some teachers and TAs.
2. Attend more inter-school competitions (leagues, festivals and tournaments). Run more friendly matches with local schools (especially football and netball).
3. Increase the number of after-school clubs and numbers participating.
4. Improve provision for G&T, SEN and less active children (including Change4Life)
5. Develop lunchtime opportunities and active play, including play-leaders.
6. Consider improving PE and resources (line painting)
7. Purchase of PE and competition kit to improve team ethos.
The PE subject leader constantly monitors progress/impact and reviews progress regularly.